I have always wanted to hike the Appalachian trail, but figured I would never get the chance… but as fate would have it, I am about to get a chance at a piece of it! I am actually off the whole week of Thanksgiving and the opportunity popped up so I took it. I will hike for three to four days on my first go at it and still be back in time to hang out with my family for Thanksgiving. The great news is I am with folks that know what they are doing so I get to tag along and learn all the ins and outs of backpacking. I am actually pretty dang excited!
Some cool things to know about the Appalachian Trail
- It starts in Georgia at Springer Mountain and runs all the way to Mount Katahdin in Maine.
- It crosses 14 states.
- The longest section is in Virginia nd the shortest section in West Virginia, only four miles.
- The tallest peak is Clingman’s Dome in the Great Smoky Mountains at 6,643 feet above sea level.
- The elevation from the start of the trail to the end is like hiking Mt Everest 16 times.
- The trail is 2, 189 miles long.
- It is the longest footpath only hiking trail in the world.
- One of my favorite runners, Scott Jurek, just broke the record for fastest trek from beginning to end about two months ago… 46 days. The average hiker takes 5 months.
I have my tent which I set up today with my Dad in the yard just to be sure I knew what I was doing. My bed roll and sleeping bag to stay comfy and warm at night. My food… dehydrated beef stew and biscuits and sausage gravy, protein bars, jerky and nuts, and water.My trekking poles, warm clothes and rain clothes, headlamp with extra batteries and matches. Of course there is all of this little stuff to add in and make sure my pack is 35 pounds or less! But I got this!
We will be hiking 9-11 miles a day so I should be fine with good hiking shoes and clothing! This is a slow and enjoy it pace… thank goodness! I am really looking forward to no cell phones, the beauty that I will get to see and of course hanging out with some friends:) I love getting out and trying something new. I am pretty sure I am going to love this experience!
I feel blessed getting to do this and if all goes well I will go again in December. Later in February I will be headed to Spain with my son for 12 days. I am so thankful for the opportunities God is providing me with and allowing me to see some magnificent things:)